Baymod® L is a high-impact modifier or plasticizer for PVC and other polymers. It's an odorless, high impact, non-migrating ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA or EVM) rubber.
Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Rubber
ARLANXEO’s EVM rubbers are sold under the tradenames Baymod® L, Levamelt® and Levapren®. EVM rubbers are produced by copolymerization of ethylene and vinyl acetate. Our ethylene-vinyl acetate copolymers are used as synthetic rubbers, or as modifiers in thermoplastics, specifically PVC. The main differences between the grades are the vinyl acetate content and the copolymer viscosity.
The general property profile of the copolymers produced from ethylene and vinyl acetate is determined in the first instance by the ratio of the two components. The reactivity of the two monomers is almost similar so that they are statistically distributed throughout the copolymer chain, which is perfect for rubber applications. The higher the vinyl acetate content in the copolymer, the stronger the regularity of the ethylene chain is interrupted. Crystallization is reduced and becoming entirely absent at a vinyl acetate content of approx. 60 wt.%. Hence copolymers with a high vinyl acetate content are amorphous.
Applications of ARLANXEO EVM rubbers
- modifier for PVC and other plasticizing polymers
- adhesive films: Depending on the grade that is used and the surface such films are applied to, low up to semi-permanent adhesion can be achieved.
- seals: Due to its long-term heat stability and its good resistance to automotive fluids, Levapren® is used in seals, e. g., for rocker head covers.
- hoses: Levapren® is used as base material for flame-retardant and chlorine-free hose covers like in fuel hoses
- cables: Due to the high flame retardancy and the heat and chemical resistance of FRNC Levapren® vulcanizates, cables are one of the key applications of Levapren®. Many cables in buildings, ships and mass transit or rolling stock are made of FRNC Levapren® compounds.
- floorings: Floorings based on Levapren® give benefits like good resistance to wear, abrasion, ozone, weathering and they offer outstanding color stability.
- sensor cables: Due to its unique polymerization process, the molecular weight distribution of Levapren® is in particular wide. The gel-free product has a positive effect on the processability of the material and the quality of the end product such as the sensor cables. Gel particles would impact the function of the cables and therefore cause safety problems.
- translucent articles: Flexibility in design without compromising in properties is one of the common challenges in the industry. Levapren® enables designers to create translucent articles with very good weather and UV resistance which in most cases can only be achieved with carbon-black-filled rubber articles.
- foams: Typical applications are in ships, railways and buses.
Formed by copolymerization of ethylene and vinyl acetate, Levamelt® is a versatile and flexible polymer for durable adhesives and films.
The Levapren® brand of adhesive raw materials is a cost-effective EVM-specialty for demanding applications as in the automotive and industrial sectors like floorings and cables.
Baymod® is a trademark of LANXESS Deutschland GmbH and registered in many countries worldwide and used under license.